[Libreoffice-ux-advise] to duplicate an existing style

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Sat Sep 10 06:18:19 PDT 2011

Hi Astron,

Astron schrieb:
> On 8 September 2011 16:33, Rafael Rocha Daud<rrdaud at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi Regina, Astron, all,
>>
>> Em 07-09-2011 18:07, libreoffice-ux-advise-request at lists.freedesktop.org
>> escreveu:
>>>
>>> Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 23:06:34 +0200
>>> From: Regina Henschel<rb.henschel at t-online.de>
>>> Subject: Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] to duplicate an existing style
>>>
>>> Hi Astron,

>>> You need inheritance from the beginning to fill the fields with the
>>> inherited values. That there is no visual distinction between inherited
>>> and set values is a different problem.
>
> I am not sure I get this completely, Regina.
> # I think it would be quite possible to just copy the entire default
> style when using [New]. Also, of course, every style created via [New]
> would then inherit from the default style I suppose, every style has
> to depend on something).

That depends on the kind of style. Currently Page styles and List styles
have no inheritance at all, so "New" always generates a totally new style.
The Paragraph, Character, and Graphic styles know inheritance. But there
you can set the link to -none- which gives you a totally new style.

So we have the possible behaviors
(1) Generate a totally new, independent style
	The question is, from where it gets its settings. I see extreme ways
	(a) Use only default settings, nothing in organizer
	(z) Use an existing style and set all properties as own settings in the
new style. Very full organizer.
	Perhaps something in between
	(m) Copy those settings from an existing style, that are not equal to
defaults.
(2) Generate a child style, which has no own settings in the beginning

Kind regards
Regina