[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Header and Footers separators design

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Mon Sep 12 13:07:07 PDT 2011

Hi Cedric, all!

Am Montag, den 12.09.2011, 09:51 +0200 schrieb Cedric Bosdonnat:
[...]
> >       * Proposal: The whole button should act as a menu, so the vertical
> >         divider can go --> greatly simplifies to "hit" the button (sorry
> >         for mentioning that late)
>
> Ok, let's do that... that'll require a few code changes... but nothing
> too complex.

Cool, that will help a lot!

[...]
> >       * Great!!!: The whole region of either header/footer or document
> >         responds to a click and selects the edit mode for that area.
> >         That's something I've missed to say :-)
>
> Hehe, that was the first change I made ;)

Perfect!

[...]
> > The changes (more details if you need it):
> >       * Tab with a bit less height (28px -> 25px)
> >       * Removed the vertical devider (make it a full button)
> >       * Width of indicator line to 1px
>
> Ok, noted
>
> >       * Refined contrast by making a light blue / dark blue line -->
> >         unusual line for LibO (means people might notice that it's some
> >         markup)
>
> I can't understand what you mean here... Can you give me some details?

Yes, I've used a line (middle color, full stroke, see below) as a
background and added another one (dark color, narrow dashed) at the top.
This will work on all kinds of backgrounds (dark and bright, even
changing), and is visually more pleasing (no hard contrast changes like
for simple dashed lines).

> Don't forget that those colors are configured, is there any way to
> compute one of the two colors form the other one?

Yep, although I had to note the Inkscape changes the colors strangely
when simply switching between pages in the the color definition
dialog ... so the given colors were slightly wrong, sorry!

I've "picked" the original color "a2dcfd" (middle color for the bottom)
and used the HSL color model to add 20 (range: 0...255) and the result
is "caebfe" (bright color for the top). If small variations occur, then
this doesn't matter at all. Does that help?

> >       * (Anti-aliasing due to my graphics program)
>
> Hum, I'll try to play with the OutputDevice configuration, it may be a
> bit to change to get it Anti-Aliased.

Oh, thanks! I've just wanted to mention that my graphics program does
anti-aliased output only, so that might be the cause for further
differences in the original / improved version. But if anti-aliasing
works, that would be awesome ...

@ Astron: Just an explanation for the "+" sign. We've used the icon from
Calc for "New Sheet". The green on blue doesn't work well, that's right,
but it conforms to the rest of the icon set. But, I don't have strong
feelings on that ... so using a black icon is fine! Let's try it :-)

So, Astron, thanks for the cool input! :-)
And Cedric, thanks for the cool output! ;-)

Mmh, shouldn't we soon put together a blog post about that? The initial
discussions, the nice hackfest work, the final outcome with lots of
(tiny but) helpful features? What do you both think?

Cheers,
Christoph