[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Java GUI for Libre-Office Based Android App(s)

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Thu Apr 26 05:57:43 PDT 2012

> Should there be a separate view mode, then, or would the viewing UI
> gradually develop into an editing UI?

I think there would be a separate viewer app (or apps) first, the
editing-capable ones would then be developed when the viewer
functionality starts getting good enough.

>> We don't know for
>> instance whether it will make sense to combine handling of all three
>> document types (text, spreadsheet, presentation) into one app, or have
>> a separate one for each.

> Will your decision depend largely on the technical difficulties posed by
> each option, or is this more of a UX problem?

Both. It might be, for instance, that an app to cover all three kinds
of documents brings in so much code that some real or apparent app
size limit is exceeded. And, there are some very real technical
differences in how a viewer app can get the services it needs from the
lower layers of the code for the different kinds of documents.

And then there is a question whether we have enough UX resources to do
a good design for all three document kinds, or should we concentrate
on one at a time?

> Take a look at
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/File_Manager to get a
> better idea.