[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Repo / place for original artwork files (was: Re: [PUSHED] Make new About dialogue a little nicer)

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Thu Aug 9 03:19:54 PDT 2012

Hi Astron,

Stefan Knorr (Astron) píše v Čt 09. 08. 2012 v 10:24 +0200:

> > Terribly sorry for missing your mail :-(  Can you please describe me the
> > problem more exactly?  I can see the images, when I go eg. to
> >
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/icon-themes/tango/lc10713.png
> >
> > and click "(plain)" after the "blob:
> > c18733cf1528e91ee4a60f6896d1c1d4fdd422a8", it opens correctly for me in
> > the eog.
>
> Right, that's not as bad as I thought (maybe someone has changed
> that..? dunno, really), just: wouldn't it be better, if the images
> opened in the browser without me having to download them/open them in
> a different app?

I've just looked at a cgit installation that I have here (different to
the fdo), and clicking "(plain)" opens it directly in the browser; I
think the following in my cgitrc does that:

mimetype.git=image/git
mimetype.html=text/html
mimetype.jpg=image/jpeg
mimetype.jpeg=image/jpeg
mimetype.pdf=application/pdf
mimetype.png=image/png
mimetype.svg=image/svg+xml

The best is probably to file a bug in the fdo bugzilla against
infrastructure, in order to have this there.

> > For sure it is not the most user-friendly way, but hopefully good for a
> > start?
>
> Yes, having the image directly on the page without having to click
> "plain" would probably help tremendously. Is that possible with cgit
> at all?

You can extend the cgit behavior via shell scripts it seems, like

http://hjemli.net/git/cgit/tree/filters/syntax-highlighting.sh

So I guess reasonably easy, if cgit sends the binary data to this filter
too, and if fdo admins allow us to install such a custom script on the
server.

> >> And then, can we try moving the repository idea forward?
> >
> > Sounds great to me - I'd be for an additional subdir in the core
> > repository wherever you choose; the rest of the artwork is there already
> > anyway...
>
> That would be quite the economic idea. :) So, well, if you developers
> don't mind designers committing to there regularly...

It is preferred that you commit directly there.  Ie. not only we don't
mind, but welcome that :-)

> On the other
> hand, the artwork repository might occasionally use different licenses
> from the rest of LibreOffice (i. e. CC etc.) and therefore it might be
> good to have it separate (?).

That would indeed make the separate repo the preferred option; OTOH I
hope that for such important stuff as the main branding is, we could
agree on the same license as the rest of LibreOffice? :-)

All the best,
Kendy