[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Proposed changes

Cedric Bosdonnat cbosdonnat at suse.com
Wed Dec 5 05:24:09 PST 2012

Hi Mirek,

I started on these, and after some investigations there are points on
which I don't fully agree.

On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 23:44 +0100, Mirek M. wrote:
> Here's a (belated) summary of all the changes we discussed on the IRC:
> * Make the Template dialog a normal dialog (so that window buttons
> show up in e.g. Gnome)

Well, that's a bug I need to fix.

> * Change double-click behavior to single-click

I have almost finished implemented it.

> * Remove the selection mode button, have selection mode activated
> using right-click or long tap on any of the templates, show a "Done"
> button on the toolbar when in selection mode for deactivating the
> mode, such as seen on Android or Gnome [1][2][3].

If you check carefully the Gnome Documents application, you'll see that
the "Selection mode" button is there too... which makes sense: otherwise
nobody will think of right-click to select items.

To keep consistent with that idea, we may not want to show the check
boxes when hovering on items, but only in selection mode.

I'm also pretty annoyed by that pseudo-Macos look of the filtering
buttons... couldn't we have something less inspired from some
OS-specifics? Changing these buttons into something less
visually-imposing would also give some more importance to the Selection
Mode button.

Any quick though? Remember that you asked me to enable it as
non-experimental feature for 4.0 and we need to come up with something
definitive soon ;)

> [1] http://home.cofares.net/androidDocs/design/media/action_bar_cab.png
> [2] https://lh3.ggpht.com/-Ce7kNdwCJZQ/TgTCr7YIkeI/AAAAAAAABsY/dyVf-ETvZ8k/s1600/gmail_context.png
> [3] https://afaikblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/device-import-actions.png