[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Template manager : feedback

Cedric Bosdonnat cbosdonnat at suse.com
Fri Dec 14 01:44:02 PST 2012

Hi Mirek, Olivier,

On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 18:40 +0100, Mirek M. wrote:
> The original idea was to not have a static size for the overlay, but
> rather have its size detemined by its contents, in the same way it
> works on Android (and as was designed for our Android port), and
> similar also to iOS/new Mac OS X behavior.

Doh! I broke it completely ;) The is no overlay anymore. Honestly, this
wouldn't fit most templates repositories (starting with
templates.libreoffice.org) which have pyramidal folders structure.

Of course I implemented the path idea as well. The other good thing for
me is that it's way easier not to paint the overlay with shadow,
transparency and so on.

> Again, here the idea was to be consistent with the Android port.
> It was imagined that there would only be one level of hierarchy (as is
> standard on Android and iOS), as it makes browsing templates much
> simpler and will be necessary if/when there is sync functionality
> between Android and desktop LibreOffice.
>

> Thus, a path bar would be largely unnecessary, as it would only show a
> single item. Also, there would no longer be an easy way to rename a
> folder (at least, if it acted like a traditional path bar).

I'm about to change the whole implementation to have it support several
levels. The restriction for the templates storage is on the templates
management class from LibreOffice (already there before), but at least
we'll be able to handle all remote repositories without problem.

> (In general, if in doubt, look at the Android 3.0+ implementation, or
> at least Apple's Document Library implementation [1].)

As I already told you... we still have a huge amount of desktop users to
take care of.

--
Cedric