[Libreoffice-ux-advise] The "no border text" feature in Writer 3.5 is not complete

Jean-Francois Nifenecker jean-francois.nifenecker at laposte.net
Fri Feb 17 09:47:01 PST 2012

Hi,

first of all, let me be completely clear: I have no doubt the devs and,
more generally, the TDF people do their best to bring a very good tool
with very few resources.

Second, I have nothing personal against anyone anywhere. I have never
had and won't start with an office automation suite people I happen to
appreciate.

It seems some have taken my words (here and elsewhere) way too
personally. As I can see some steam out of this thread I just want to
summarize what I think and the direction I'd like for the feature at
hand. Let's come back to a more "relaxed" discussion.

I consider the text boundaries to be a visual clue to the page layout,
as much as the un-printable chars are. Completely dropping that feature
for the new "angles" (actual name?) is then inappropriate in that
regard. On the opposite, proposing the "angles" for people who don't
want the un-printable chars (there are some, though I do my best to
convert them ;) is ok, as far as the text boundaries can be optionally
displayed if the user so wishes.
-> Adding this option to the unprintable chars switch would be a good
option, IMO.

Ah, yes: please, don't tell the new UX-ers that they'd get what they
want if they code it themselves. That's not encouraging into any further
participation, thus this is counter-productive.

All the best and thank you for your attention,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux