[Libreoffice-ux-advise] ux-advise advice

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Sat Feb 18 00:21:18 PST 2012

Hi Jean Francois,

On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 08:50 +0100, Jean-Francois Nifenecker wrote:
> As I understand (correct me if necessary) this list goal -- which I find
> excellent -- is to narrow the topic to actual user experience
> enhancements

	Well - the idea is that this is a place that hackers can get advice
from user experience experts. ie. "I want to do XYZ change, I have a
patch to do it - first let me check with some UX experts". It is
intended to try to build good relationships between designers and those
who actually implement their designs, thus far it seems to be working.

> My feeling, at this first participation, is that apparently
> it's quite difficult to make ideas flow here when one's not from the
> happy few.

	The design list is a great place for this 'flowing' of ideas.

> So here are a few questions of mine that will help me understand the
> nuts and bolts of this list: Where do the discussions lead ? Who decides
> to (not) implement a change discussed here ? When is a consensus
> considered valid ? Who decides that ?

	So in all of these cases, the discussions produce advice to a developer
who asked for advice. It is fairly useless having a consensus solely of
people who are unable to make any real change in the code :-) As such,
pissing off the developers by immoderate criticism is a highly
ineffective way to achieve any change, instead it is likely to solidify
opposition.

> As I wish to post a few new messages wrt various UX topics I'm
> considering important, I'd better know how things are held so that the
> threads don't go wild because of respective ignorance.

	If this is initiated by you, and you have no intention of doing any
coding on the topic, this is the wrong place - please try the 'design'
list.

	All the best,

		Michael.