[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Bug 44216: Drag and Drop Slides distorts object's height/width ratio

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Mon Feb 20 09:17:51 PST 2012

Hi all!

Am Montag, den 20.02.2012, 19:07 +0400 schrieb Ivan Timofeev:
> Hi Astron,
>
> On 17.02.2012 21:41, Stefan Knorr (Astron) wrote:
[...]
> > I have taken a look at the existing message (it only appears when
> > Ctrl-C'ing the slide and then Ctrl-V'ing it) and I find it not ideal.
> > (It asks for Yes/No/Cancel, which is a labour-saving but
> > user-confusing artefact of Win GUIs.) I'll try to think of something,
> > maybe...
>
> Hmm, is there any possible alternative?

This is - like in many other cases - a candidate for for the following
scenario:
      * The user does something which implies LibreOffice to respond in
        several (almost equal) ways
      * We don't know what alternative the user might prefer for his
        special use case

The message box asks the user before LibreOffice acts, but it might
interrupt the user's workflow. So another alternative is to do
"something" (hoping that we got it right) and to enable the user to
decide afterwards. Microsoft Office does this via "Action Refinements".
Some years ago, I've derived a similar solution incorporating some more
use cases:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/DirectManipulationSnippets

Of course, nothing that gets implemented just for this bug, but I keep
noticing that this behavior would be handy in (literally) hundreds of
cases.

Cheers,
Christoph

PS: Feels good to be back on the list again :-)