[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [REVIEW 3-5: Late feature] Improvements in the header / footer behavior

Cedric Bosdonnat cbosdonnat at suse.com
Thu Jan 5 08:06:15 PST 2012

Hi Kendy all,

On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 14:15 +0100, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> I have been playing recently with the great new header / footer
> indicators, and there were 2 things that I considered suboptimal from
> the UX point of view:
>
> - Appearing / disappearing of the controls after 1 second
>
>   I noticed that most of the time when I am using that, I am terribly
>   impatient even if it is just 1 second, and end up clicking the
>   header / footer area hoping that it will appear earlier; similarly for
>   disappearing.  I played with that, and with the faster appearing /
>   disappearing implemented by Thomas Collerton, there is no need for the
>   1 second timeout it seems; so I got rid of that:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=64e08fd3c5980b74bb958dc566c229d92db18726
>
> - Showing both the header and footer controls, while the user is able to
>   use just one of them at a time
>
>   While it makes some sense from the implementation point of view to
>   keep the headers and footers close in the code, from the user point of
>   view I don't see why we should show both at the same time; the user is
>   able to edit either header, or footer, but never both at the same
>   time - she has only one caret ;-)  So I decoupled that:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=cce76e658af88813e17dea4f04388a29d7e582df
>
> Both this is in master.  I recall the headers / footers were implemented
> together with our UX guys, so I don't push it to libreoffice-3-5 as a
> normal fix, but rather use the 'late feature' track - with more review,
> hoping in consensus about this :-)  I believe the above mentioned
> changes make the use of the new feature even more slick and sexy.
>
> So - can we agree to cherry-pick this to libreoffice-3-5 too? :-)

I'm all for it, but the following commits are fixing some side-effects
or UI weird things on this thread:

Show the page break tab under the mouse instead of the end of the line.
That fixes the UI problems mentioned in this thread.
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=5807b07161d84ef105cc1a2292c8c1f09888e39f
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=965e72d64c3e38780a69cace3f1bcc5fb35d6c1e
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=a0fa723ed5761609d2c31061fdd0282a2f1df6e7
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=3a326395a48db313b907b4a35392216d7b2e2a11