[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [PUSHED] Re: Disable auto-numbering by default

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Fri Mar 9 00:27:34 PST 2012

Hi Cameron, all,

On 2012-03-09 at 02:08 -0500, Cameron Paul wrote:

> Here is the patch to turn off auto-numbering by default.

Pushed, thank you a lot!

UX guys - this is a stopgap solution for the annoyances caused by
auto-numbering; I've heard several user complaints about how much it
breaks documents (usually wrongly formatted ones - but there is so many
of them) when you just want to edit them slightly.

Cameron is now working on a real solution; the plan is that the
auto-numbering will be triggered when you enter 1. and hit [Tab] (or
"<number>.[Tab]" in general); not as it is now that it triggers any time
when you hit enter in a paragraph that starts with a "<number>."

Cameron already compared how it works in MSO - in en-US locale, MS Word
will try to auto number as soon as you type "1." and hit space, or when
you hit enter at the end of the line, but it also has a little that box
that pops up to easily undo it.  [My take is that this shows that they
consider the auto-numbering triggered by hitting [Enter] annoying
too ;-)]

Comments welcome :-)

Regards,
Kendy