[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Collaborative Editing

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Mar 27 03:55:06 PDT 2012

Hi Mirek,

On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 12:38 +0200, Mirek M. wrote:
> With the collaborative editing prototype out yet still a lot of time
> before the feature gets shipped, it seems like a good time to have the
> design team work on a design proposal for it.

	Certainly; of course, this in part depends on how it interacts with the
instant-messaging client etc. something we havn't tied down in code yet
- to *vigorously* re-emphasise, this is just a prototype.

> Could you give us some guidelines? What features should we design for?
> Is there a head developer for this project?

	Eike and myself and Will worked on it, we hope to have a Summer of Code
student in due course. There is also a very-very-unfinished contacts
list selector being built - that should display avatars [etc.] -
re-using an existing scrollable list/table widget.

	Beyond that - there is no UI yet ;-) - oh wait, there is a pop-up
approver that shows an avatar saying: "someone wants to share XYZ
document with you [share/don't]" - type thing - that is not yet wired
up.

	In terms of UI work there are a -ton- of nasty problems in the core to
unwind, and that having the prototype helps us find, then of course
there is -lots- of new unit testing needed to help the re-factoring
there, so ... ;-)

	But of course, if you want to produce nice wire-frames and initial
ideas etc. that's all good: just be aware that they are unlikely to get
implemented in the next months :-)

	ATB,

		Michael.