[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Default Styles in Writer

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Sat Nov 24 13:31:38 PST 2012

Hi Cor,

Cor Nouws píše v Pá 23. 11. 2012 v 18:07 +0100:

> > [..]
> > Reasons:
> > * "Text body" is the same as "Default Style", except that it has a
> > margin at the bottom, so I would suggest to remove "Default Style" from
> > the list.
>
> This is not true.
> Nearly all styles inherit from Default Style.
> And much less do so from Text Body.
>
> I support the idea to have people use text Body in stead of Default
> Style ....
> However, people are used taking Default (Style), will get confused.
> Also a clean new document and many existing documents (and other
> applications) show Default Style...

I've changed the indifferent word "Default" there to "Default
Style" [which is much more descriptive] just recently - I think the last
week - so I guess no real damage if we remove it from the preselected
list, and have just Text Body there.

> Technically however: as a style is used in the document, it is shown in
> the list Apply Style.
> So removing Default Style will only be possible if you change the
> default New document :-)

The preselection works a bit differently - it is hardcoded, so I can
change in the code what appears in the UI when the new document is open.

> What do others think?

If you come up with a list of styles to have there by default here on
the list, I'll change that accordingly.

And - being at the HackFest in Munich, I've just managed to get the
previews of the styles working:

http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/blog/archives/permalinks/2012-11-24T21_03_58.html

Feels much better this way :-) - I hope OK for you?

All the best,
Kendy