[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Default Styles in Writer

Rafael Rocha Daud rrdaud at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 05:53:23 PST 2012

Hi all, Mirek, Cor, Olivier, Kendy

kudos for the previews, they look great and have been long awaited!

Cor, what actions one needs to select a style for? Unless I'm wrong, they're only right clicking for context menu (then New..., Modify... or Delete...), which doesn't require single left click first. Apart from that, about the upper button "New Style from selection", what I gather is 'selection' here refers to the cursor in the text, not the style selected in the Stylist.
If we could indeed use single click to apply a style, then double-click could be assigned to Modify ('edit style' dialog), which in my opinion would be a productive boost.

Obs.: the brush (Fill format mode) can be used by first clicking the brush button, then the style intended to be applied. Then only in this case single clicking the style won't apply the style immediatly, but wait for the brush. Besides, this is a tool that perhaps needs some rethinking...

Cheers./

PS.: +1 for the style list "Title", "Subtitle" and "Quotations" in place of "Default".
PPS.: +1 for Olivier's mock up!

Mirek M. wrote (26-11-12 15:49)

>/  Drag and drop is a longer and more complex action than double-click.
/>/  Why not just apply a style on single-click, same as in the style drop-down?
/
Have been thinking about that.
But you need to be able to select a style for more actions than
applying. So I see a problem there.

(My idea was:
    apply with double-click,
    show in document with ctrl-click /
      then apply with releasing ctrl and revert with releasing mouse
But would not dare to ask ;-) )

(And don't forget that it's possible to select a style by typing Enter
when it's selected, which can be easy when the Stylist opens floating
after hitting F11 )

--
   - Cor
   -http://nl.libreoffice.org