[Libreoffice-ux-advise] XML Import

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 11:37:43 PST 2012

On 11/26/2012 12:13 PM, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> First point:
> "I would not expect "Data - XML Source" for launching the XML Source
> dialog, because all other cases, where data are inserted, are in menu
> Insert (Sheet, Sheet From File, Link to External Data)."
>
> The reason I put it there is that, this feature will be tied very
> closely to Calc's existing database range feature in the later revisions
> (though not in the version that will go into 4.0).  Currently, you
> insert or modify database ranges in Data - Define Range, and I'd thought
> that it would make sense to place the new XML Source menu entry
> somewhere close, because of this reasoning.

Oh yeah, there is another reason for that.

Although in 4.0 this feature will only allow import, in the later
revision it will also support export into XML, and I'd like those two
(import and export) to be in the same submenu.  In addition, once we
support saving of the XML source information, that is, having the XML
source information with the document, information such as the path to
the original XML file as well as the mapping info, we will support
refreshing of the source data.  This means that the submenu will contain
three entries: 1) import, 2) export and 3) refresh.

We could also put this menu entry under Insert menu in 4.0 and move it
to the Data menu when the export and refresh are implemented.  But I
don't want to move the menu entry around.

BTW, I just merged the very preliminary version of this feature into
master.  I still would like to tweak the UI a bit (especially the tree
control's behavior) and revise the icons, but you can play around with
it when the next master dev build becomes available.

Best,

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc