[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Libreoffice-qa] LO 3.6.2 : about Manage dialog from Conditional Formatting

pierre-yves samyn pierre-yves.samyn at laposte.net
Sun Oct 14 02:21:24 PDT 2012

Hello

A great and beautiful work has been done, thank you for that.
I hope my poor English will not betray my goal which is trying to improve
this feature. I would like to continue to discuss it constructively...

My message will be a bit long because it is necessary to detail the steps,
sorry for that...

In  (comment # 26) Michael says
"The relative reference is expressed consistently with reference to the top
left hand corner of the range you're currently inside"

I agree with Michael on: "The idea of a special case for when a cell is
selected
inside the range is (IMHO) not at all intuitive there."

I agree when we use Format> CF> Manage.

I agree for cells "in the range".

But I do not agree when you use Format> CF> CF and when the current cell
is the "last" of the range because it is a selection mode very common .

Steps to reproduce (tested with Version 3.6.4.0+ (Build ID: a010c4e)):

1. File> New> Spreadsheet
2. Type a, b, c, d respectively A1, A2, A3, A4
3. Select A4:A1

Note:
- After entering "d"  A5 is selected and a "common" way to select A1:A4 is
the
mouse starting A4 to A1. Why I said in step 3 "select A4:A1"
- After step 3 A1:A4 is selected and the current cell is A4

4. Format> CF> CF> Add, condition: "formula is" B4 = 1, Apply style: Result

The reference is relative. So we want to test the cell one column to the
right, same row.

* This is the intuitive functionning in current versions*

5. Keep the selected range and redo Format> CF> CF
The formula is now displayed B7 = 1

I think it introduces a non-homogeneously managing of relatives references.
I do not see others dialogs doing this...

Further tests show other problem:

6. Delete (click on Remove)
7. Click Add, condition: "formula is" B4 = 1 Apply style: Result, Ok
8. Keep the selected range and redo Format> CF> CF
The formula was kept and correctly (in my opinion) spread:
Format> CF> Manage displays correctly for A1: A4 Form B1 = 1

This is my expected result, It would be great if we got directly :)

Thank you for reading this far ...
Regards
Pierre-Yves