[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Template manager - the menu entries

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Tue Jan 15 04:15:47 PST 2013

Hi Cedric

Cedric Bosdonnat wrote (15-01-13 10:06)
> On Mon, 2013-01-14 at 20:32 +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:

>> [...]
>> And I still see File > New .. for editing or managing not as a natural
>> route.
>
> Then may be we should find a new Wording for the File > New ... menu
> item. In a not so far future (but not for 4.0.x) I'ld love to see the
> whole sub-menu merged into the new Template Dialog, which may bring the
> consistency you're missing.

[ To be discussed later .. but I'm not sure if e.g File > New >
Spreadsheet is moved to a dialog. ]

>> Besides that: the old dialog also offerd Organise and Edit options (of
>> course in a indirect and not so good and pretty way as now, but it was
>> there.)
>
> Organise and Edit options are also in the new Template manager dialog.

Yes, but since they also were in the old one, you cannot just use the
situation that they in the new one, as an argument for removing the menu.

> Being this way for years doesn't mean it needs to stay for ever and that
> it was a good thing.

Indeed. We need arguments that show why a change is an improvement.

>[...]
>> I'm still seriously looking for what is good here.
>
> Sorry for my hesitant understanding of english, but do you mean you are
> working toward a good design or that you couldn't find anything good
> yet?

I mean - sorry for not being clear - that I do not yet see what the best
solution is. Hence my remarks and questions.
I do see that the new dialog is better and more attractive. And I do see
that Organise and Edit options are available there.
But those were also available in the old dialog, so that does not give
me an argument to change the old menu.
If the problem is that the old menu was to way down, then move it up.
Just below the group Wizards. Since it's only one line, it won't disturb
the rest of the menu (since the new item Save as template can be
removed). And it will make the features for templates, thus the new
dialog, much better visible :-)

Cheers,
Cor
--