[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Use Widget Layout for the Start Center

Krisztian Pinter pin.terminator at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 05:47:11 PDT 2013

Hi all!

Sorry for the late reply!

(Disclaimer: I'm not an UI designer, just trying to use my own flavor of
common sense here, so I apologize in advance to any UI professionals if I
say something very stupid. :-)

Thanks for all the responses, and thanks Mirek for starting the whiteboard
and creating a mockup (which I liked).
I had something with tabs in mind as well. I created a rudimentary mockup
myself before posting this, and in its concept it's close to what Mirek
did. I think tabs should correspond to modules, feels more practical to me,
and I think this is what the average user might find more
comfortable/familiar.

Currently when LO starts, the question Star Center asks is "Which module
would you like to use?". Olivier's design asks the question "Would you like
to create a new document, create a new document from a template or open a
recent one?"
I think users don't fire up LO thinking "I want to create a document from a
template" or "I want to open a recent file" but something like "I want to
start a new spreadsheet (in Calc)" or "I want to continue working on my
slash fic (in Writer)".
The point I'm trying to make is that I think users first think about what
type of document they want to work with, and second what they want to do
with it, and so this is the order Start Center should be asking the user
these questions.

Obviously, this is all just speculation, and I'm not 100% confident in my
reasoning, so please, tell me what you think.

The idea about different filetypes having different colored shadows: that's
interesting, but I think a small icon for the filetype should also be put
in a corner of the thumbnail or something, because it wouldn't be very
helpful for color blind people.

All the best,
Krisztian