[Libreoffice-ux-advise] input on changing definition of "dark" colour for fdo#61993

Luke Deller luke at deller.id.au
Sat Mar 9 04:52:57 PST 2013

Hi,

I'm looking for input on a proposed fix for a doc compatibility issue
(fdo#61993, patch: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/2601)

In Writer when a font colour is set to "automatic" (which is the
default), it will be set to black or white depending on whether the
background is "dark".

Microsoft Word does the same thing, except it has a different idea about
what background colours are considered to be "dark".  This leads to
compatibility problems when importing and exporting doc/docx file formats.

My tentative proposal was to change LibreOffice's definition of "dark"
to match Microsoft Office more closely.

Specifically a colour would be considered "dark" if its luminence is <=
60 (on a scale from 0 to 255).  Currently it is considered "dark" if its
luminence is <= 38.

Putting aside questions of compatibility, I think this does actually
produce a visually better result.

What do you think?

Another perhaps separate issue is that the code which decides whether a
colour is dark is used for a number of different purposes, not just for
word processor documents.  For example I see a calls to it from VCL code
relating to user interface themes.  How scary is it to change the
definition of "dark" across the whole application?

Regards,
Luke.