[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Template manager issues pending

Cedric Bosdonnat cedric.bosdonnat.ooo at free.fr
Mon May 13 00:50:14 PDT 2013

Hi Mirek, Michel,

On Sat, 2013-05-11 at 10:47 +0200, Mirek M. wrote:
> * The way the template manager is now is miles away from the proposed
> design. The proposed design was a simple iCloud/Gnome Documents-like
> template launcher with a two level hierarchy. [1][2] The current
> implementation is a more conventional complex Explorer-like file
> manager with unlimited hierarchy. Given that I wasn't in favor of the
> shift in focus to organizing templates rather than creating new
> documents from templates, I'm not the best person to design for the
> dialog.

Allowing multiple levels in the hierarchy is only a plan ATM as there is
still some work to do on it to have it working. Local templates are also
not supposed to have more than 2 levels of hierarchy and this is defined
by the UNO API for handling templates (not the template manager).

> The dialog seems to support only a two level hierarchy, so it's not
> compatible with the current template manager folder structure.

It is completely compatible: the folder structure for local template
hasn't changed.

>                 61396 - FILEOPEN: [Template Manager]Possibility to
>                 edit a template that
>                 is not in the repository, is lacking
>

>         I saw a comment with the proposal :
>         "when a user does "Open" from the "File" menu and selects a
>         template, then LO should open the template" ; instead of
>         creating a new file from the template".
>         It seems to be a coherent behavior : the user selects the
>         command "open" so LO must open. When the user selects "new
>         from template", then LO must create a new file from a
>         template.
>
> Sounds good.

If everyone agrees on that, then it should be pretty quick to fix.

>         If you really want to prevent modification of bad file, maybe
>         add an dialog asking confirmation : "Do you really want to
>         open the template 'test.ott' ? or create a new file from this
>         template ?"
>

> Perhaps an infobar might be better?

Yes, InfoBar is the thing to use here.

>                 and related
>                 59427 -  [Template Manager] low discoverability of new
>                 template manager
>                 - we could use "File → Organize templates" menu
>

>         I agree

Still on the todo-list, sadly didn't manage to come to it.

--
Cedric