[Libreoffice] LO status bar annoyances

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Wed Dec 1 12:45:19 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 20:28 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 13:03 -0500, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> > > Is there a use case to justify exposing any of this to users?
> >
> > Can you expand on what you mean by 'any of this'?
>
> 	I guess the root problem is that you can do operations in a spreadsheet
> that (when saved) produce a different document [ eg. scrolling the
> view-port, or switching sheet ] - yet which do not mark the document
> 'changed' to re-enable the 'Save' icon.

Well, but then, I'm not sure if switching the sheet, scrolling the view
port, or moving the cursor etc *should* mark the document "modified",
since the content of the document itself is not modified.  So,
determining what constitutes content modification is a bit harder than
what it seems.

And because it's not as straight-forward to determine when to call the
document "modified", I'm deeply against disabling the save when the app
thinks the document is not modified.

And I don't think this is a calc only problem; the same condition
applies to other apps too.

BTW, looks like we need to have this discussion almost annually.  I'm
looking forward to another round of this discussion the same time next
year. ;-)

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc