[Libreoffice] Deleting Java from Base

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Fri Dec 3 03:37:43 PST 2010

On 03/12/10 10:48, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 10:28 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
>> Where do I start :-)
>>
>> Seeing as Base is where I want to work, this seems an obvious thing to
>> do. I'm guessing that building without Java, then running some tests
>> (smoketest? what?) and seeing what breaks is a good idea.
> I think the typical thoughts around this are to either change the
> default backend for base to be sqlite instead of hsqldb (which is where
> the java dependency comes in) or come up with a new backend written in
> C++ which can manipulate existing hsqldb format databases.
>
> If you dig around for "sqlite-sdbc-driver" or something like that you
> should find various examples at dba.openoffice.org of various backends
> to play with and get a feel for what needs to be implemented in one.

Thanks. I'll have a dig around.

That's actually getting in a bit deeper and quicker than I planned but
hey ho - the best way to learn is to jump in the deep end :-)

My long term plan was to implement an NF2 back end, but if I get sqlite
working that'll be good preparation.

(If you want to get me started on the failings of relational, expect a
LONG rant !!! :-)

Okay, here goes ...

Cheers,
Wol