[Libreoffice] binfilter and features...

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Sat Dec 4 12:49:39 PST 2010

On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 16:43 +0100, Pierre-André Jacquod wrote:
> Would someone mind if I track down the call of such functions, remove
> the calls and at the end remove the function?

Sure, if you want. Watch out for virtual methods however, e.g. removing
an empty virtual that overrides something that isn't empty would change
behaviour of course.

I wouldn't like to see too much effort spent on binfilter though. If
you're interested in removing unused code I suggest have a poke at the
callcatcher output which lists non-virtual methods which nothing either
calls or takes the address of. The last run I did for OpenOffice.org is
at http://people.redhat.com/caolanm/callcatcher/DEV300_m86/ (I cleared
"desktop" myself recently, I should generate up-to-date lists for
LibreOffice master)

Look at that juicy list of unused methods in e.g. sd, sc, sw and
slideshow and so on. (Its always possible that some of the "C" signature
methods are dlopened by something so skip over those for the first
iteration). Those would be the easy low-hanging fruit that would have
most bang for your buck.

> Of course, these functions are marker, but intend someone really to
> develop binfilter ?

No.

> Which make me think: as new feature, for the next LibO release after
> 3.3, could it be that StarOffice file format are not supported any more,
> at least in writing modus?. Reading files would open it in read only,
> trying to save would produce a warning like "this old format is
> deprecated, please save in a new one". Maybe the same for the old OOo
> format?
>
> Or do you intend to drop this in a quicker way?

A lot of people are of the view to delete the whole thing. I'd prefer to
move it out of LibreOffice entirely into a standalone project that
outputs a import/export extension so that there remains some way to
import legacy .sdw format documents.

C.