[Libreoffice] Developers, Designers and Vice Versa?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue Dec 7 02:29:10 PST 2010

Hi Christoph,

On Sun, 2010-12-05 at 01:22 +0100, Christoph Noack wrote:
> just a short question - is there anybody of you (developers) on the
> Design mailing list as well? I'm curious, because people (there) start
> to discuss ideas and sometimes it would be great to get instant feedback
> on the effort, technical issues, ... another point-of-view.

	I am not; there is a limit to the amount of discussion we can read
during the day :-) What would be **really** nice is if we could get UI
input on easy hacks to improve usability here and there - that new
hackers can work on.

> This is step one of my hidden agenda. Of course, if nobody replies,
> there will be "pro-active advertising" ... so be warned in advance ;-)

	One thing that makes the developer list easier for hackers to manage,
is that they get a personal reply to their mails - such that they can
follow a thread of interest, while filtering most of the list away
somewhere else; not sure if you do that for design@ :-) it also has the
side-effect of discouraging thoughtless contribution to too many
threads, since you get double copies of every reply to a thread you
contribute to ;-)

	Anyhow - the idea of designers going and designing like crazy, without
any input from developers sounds so patently absurd ;-) that I suspect
it will self moderate over time anyway. My hope is that, as/when
programmers come up with some design choices that require thought they
reach out to the design guys - which I see happens at the moment -
though it's mostly you: Christophe they reach out to, rather than the
design list. [ Of course, if we have no reply-to mangling on the design
list, it is possible that using that might be worthwhile, since they
would get a reply without being subscribed ;-].

	Just some thoughts,

	Regards,

		Michael.