[Libreoffice] [UX] Some dirty stuffs around styles in calc

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Tue Dec 7 04:34:44 PST 2010

Hi again,

(after a short lunch, a second thought ;-) )

Christoph Noack wrote (06-12-10 23:54)

> Example 1.1: Simple Dialog
>
>          If a protected cell style shall be changed, a dialog is raised
>          to explain that it is used on a protected sheet. Nothing can be
>          changed (or even viewed). The user has to un-protect the
>          sheet(s) first.

Of course most important! and as well easiest, I guess

> Example 2.1: Workflow Optimized Solution
>[...]
>          What might be checked with users and within common workflows:
>          Does it help if - if the protection has been disabled
>          temporarily - that the protection may be re-activated again when
>          a) saving the file, or b) asking the user when he attempts to
>          close the document.

In most (if not all) of the cases, protection of cells means that the
owner wants people to fill in data, and not to rework the sheet.
So I start wondering how often people that need to fill a form, should
be asked/allowed to change styles.
Of course, the initial feed back is very important, so that people
realise what is going on, and do not need to start a debug session ;-)

Cor