[Libreoffice] Comments on RC1

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue Dec 7 09:44:32 PST 2010

Hi Olivier,

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 08:11 -0200, Olivier Hallot wrote:
> Oh please, lets for a moment think that LibreOffice is not restricted to
> Europe-USA.

	Quite. The rational here was to ensure that everyone's language is
treated equally. Incidentally, as an aside - the problem space is not
restricted only to single-locale users: many corporate users (for
example) want to deploy it worldwide, and have a single image that has
localisations for ~everywhere.

> Broadband is a luxury in everyelse country I know. Including Brazil,
> where it is scandalously expensive and available to a very few of the
> richest in large cities.

	So - how do you get data to your users ? as Tor says, if you are
downloading 160Mb over a modem currently, 300Mb will take twice as long
- but are you going to just sit there watching it ?

> On a side note I also don't get why the help system is being offloading
> from LibreOffice and put into a wiki, Who decided this? How will I get
> help if I am offline in a slum IT-for-kids school?.

	Cf. mail on the topic, we are building help-packs as well so you can
install them on Windows off-line; you simply download them and install
them separately. The on-line help is for those who have an internet
connection, and the wiki is intended to make it easy for many (trusted)
people to edit, translate, and improve the help - if that is the way the
docs team want to go. The alternative is bundling 10Mb of help per
language for fifty languages - which is 1/2 a Gigabyte - I assume you
don't want that :-)

	I've been doing some research on size reduction today, will share the
results in another mail.

	HTH,

		Michael.