[Libreoffice] Comments on RC1

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Dec 7 10:24:20 PST 2010

Le 2010-12-07 12:44, Michael Meeks a écrit :

> 	So - how do you get data to your users ? as Tor says, if you are
> downloading 160Mb over a modem currently, 300Mb will take twice as long
> - but are you going to just sit there watching it ?

After having lived through long downloads through dial-up connection
(which I no longer have) and helping many who work through dial-up
connections in Canada, I can tell you that, yes, many supervise their
large downloads and find it extremely frustrating when the signal is
lost or broken. Let's not forget that their telephone lines are busy at
the time, so large downloads are usually done through the night -- and
yes I have know some to wake out of bed to check on the download.

We should always try to keep our membership who have dial-up connections
as well as our users who are in the same situation. Emerging economies
and developing nations tend to be a large part of these groups.

Perhaps a reminder of a world map broken down by population would help
explain this better: http://show.mappingworlds.com/world/  go to "People
-> Demographies -> Population".

Marc