[Libreoffice] RC1 / size redux ...

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Dec 7 10:36:36 PST 2010

Le 2010-12-07 12:55, Michael Meeks a écrit :
> Hi there,
>
> 	So - as we all know, RC1 is too large; and there are a complicated set
> of reasons why that is so, which includes some tradeoff between install
> time disk space, download size[1], fairness between languages, mirror
> capacity, build and up-load times, and so on and so on.
>
> 	Anyhow - the good news is, that - having analyzed our .cab file by
> expanding it, re-compressing each file individually (with zip), and then
> analysing the results - it seems there are some fairly obvious size wins
> that are possible. I've uploaded a (2Mb) spreadsheet here:
>
> 	http://users.freedesktop.org/~michael/sizes.ods
>
> 	40% of our size is endless duplicates of impress templates (one per
> language) - ~none of which have any significant translated content in
> them; we should simply ship one copy of each template instead. I believe
> some packagers do this on Linux already.
>
> 	Similarly, ~20% of the remaining size is (once again multiply
> duplicated) .ott files for the Wizards - which should be substantially
> identical - with a very little translation sprinkled on top. However -
> these will require coding fixes (or plain removal for 3.4 if the size is
> too significant). Then another ~20% of the remaining size is license
> files in English duplicated again and again per language.
>
> 	Similarly, if we cut our themes down to just two, we can save around 14
> Mb on the compressed image, and so on and so on.
>
> 	Of course - this requires real work; it is not just a matter of wishing
> for it :-) but it it is (I hope) all quite do-able.
>
> 	We should be able to get some of these improvements into 3.4, and more
> into 3.5.
>
> 	Ergo - I am still very optimistic that we can ship a windows
> installer / exe that is closer to 200Mb than 300 - without unreasonable
> effort.
>
> 	Anyhow - at least for RC1 - we have (if it can be download) the code
> that everyone will be running - and which is the thing that needs
> testing - major regressions / crasher bugs appreciated :-)
>
> 	HTH,
>
> 		Michael.
>
> [1] - the bigger the uncompressed .cab, the better NSIS' lzma
> compression can remove duplication eg.

Thanks Michael

That does help in describing the situation. Was this also examined by
other devs? I am saying this as sometimes, other pair of eyes will see
other places/ways of reducing the size.

Perhaps making this exercise part of the process before releasing a
major release would be a good idea?

Marc