[Libreoffice] Comments on RC1

Alexander Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 01:04:03 PST 2010

Hi Tor,

Le 07/12/10 13:24, Tor Lillqvist a écrit :
> Does it really matter a lot if downloading the LibreOffice installer takes four or eight hours on some specific slow connection? Are people going to sit by the computer staring at the download progress bar doing nothing else during the time?

In countries where power supplies are intermittent, or irregular, it
matters a great deal. If your phone or electricity lines crap out part
way through the download, and you were on a pay-per-minute connection,
what would you do ? Risk downloading it, or go and obtain a pirated copy
of some other more freely available software suite ? We still live in
world that is largely underdeveloped in many places. One could of course
choose to shut them out, which is a rather selfish attitude IMHO, or try
and facilitate their access to the software. One way (but not the only
way) of doing this is of course to reduce unnecessary bloat.

Just my 2c.

Alex