[Libreoffice] Comments on RC1 spell checking

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Wed Dec 8 01:34:01 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 09:20 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 14:33 +0100, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> > Marc you mentioned a lack of a spell checker. what bout on any OS using
> > another dictionary like Aspell or something of the sort?
>
> 	Right - a properly formed bug report for this in the bug tracker with
> details of language etc. would be much appreciated.

Using system spell checking dictionaries where available is probably
orthogonal to the original problem (whatever exactly it was, it seems to
not be reproducible right ?), but on this specific topic. LibreOffice
uses hunspell and typically now hunspell dicts are available in fairly
standard locations in linux distros. We have support to use system
dictionaries, we should (for the devel version) tweak our defaults to
enable these out-of-the-box under Linux, i.e. fallback in order of

- user dictionary extensions
- shared dictionary extensions
- system dictionaries in /usr/share/hunspell
- system dictionaries in /usr/share/myspell

C.