[Libreoffice] Comments on RC1

Alexander Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 10:10:54 PST 2010

Le 08/12/10 10:20, Michael Meeks a écrit :

Hi Michael,

> 	Would you download a copy of that proprietary suite instead ? or would
> you get it on CD ? Ultimately, I'd love to see some Ubuntu style ship-it
> service to provide CDs to serve the 3rd world cheaply. As/when we have a
> foundation and funding in place that seems like an obvious use of funds.

I would probably download it from one of those iffy sites that offer
piecemeal bits of applications / files / etc that you can then glue back
together again, errm, Usenet as I seem to recall had some nice examples
of this. However, that would be very bad for my business as an IP lawyer
:-). As to redistributing via CDs to developing countries, I
wholeheartedly agree, bearing in mind that the logistics of such an
organisation would be no mean feat :-)

>> One way (but not the only way) of doing this is of course to
>> reduce unnecessary bloat.
>
> 	We have a lot of bloat. We hate it. Removing it takes time. We are
> investing resources in doing that. Please be patient.

I am not impatient, I was merely taking exception to Tor's apparent
indifference to the problem. I consider myself lucky, I have broadband
access most of the time, despite living in a rural area, but I remember
the days when things were far, far worse, and how frustrating it was to
be faced with the dilemma of deciding what to download and how much it
was going to cost me, if I even succeeded. I also appreciate that a lot
of effort is going into reducing bloat.

What would, IMHO, be a good idea, for the Foundation, would be to define
a list of hardware requirements that it needs momentarily or in the
foreseeable future to be able to operate comfortably pending the code
diet that the software is about to go on ;-) As an example, it may be
possible for me to offer to help out (since I can't code, as in I
haven't learnt) by providing access to a dedicated server or server
space, but at the moment I have no idea what kind of requirements there
are for that.

Alex