[Libreoffice] Easter eggs, was: Re: Comments on RC1

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Wed Dec 8 10:25:59 PST 2010

============

Le 2010-12-08 12:00, Olivier Hallot a écrit :

The no
  ise I had to fight in a 120.000 desktop deployment I am managing, by the
IT security dept who almost made me write under oath that these
stupidities are
not a security threat.

Sorry, but I had pretty tought times dealing with that to have fun with.
It is
not. OOo and LO are the underdogs in a (any) migration situation and
easter eggs
is another ammo for those who want to go back to Microsoft Office. I rather
prefer not to give'em that sweet taste.

No matter how good or fun is your easter-egg, it puts you a label of
lack of
seriousness when it comes to address the enterprise needs or code quality
reputation.

============

I have to echo Olivier's words too. I am/was in the process of
recommending the OOo (and now) LibreOffice to a school board in Canada.
"Easter Eggs" at this point would not go well with the committees and
higher ups. As with Olivier's situation, other members of committees at
this school board as well as many other stakeholders will grab to any
kind of excuse to de-value the LibreOffice distro in order to keep MSO
on the computers. IMO, it does not make the suite look professional if
Easter eggs are hidden in the code. My particular board has been
blacklisted twice this year for having been the source of virus mailouts
(due to only 2 teachers irresponsible behaviour on their email system).
They are now very wary of any piece of software that has any kind of
hidden code.

Add this to the reason why we are now recommending the use of
LibreOffice rather than OpenOffice. It just makes it harder to market
the distro.

Marc