[Libreoffice] Base - sqlite - licence grief

Alexander Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 03:27:49 PST 2010

Le 10/12/10 11:32, Wols Lists a écrit :

> Because he's not the copyright holder?

Well that would actually depend on which version of the JCA / SISSL
combo he signed when he contributed. When I first signed the JCA, I
retained my rights as author. Even with the later versions of the SISSL,
I seem to recall that the original author retained copyright in his/her
work.

See here :

http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/jca.pdf

"2. Contributor hereby assigns to Sun joint ownership in all worldwide
common law and statutory rights associated with the copyrights,
copyright application, copyright registration and moral rights in the
Contribution to the extent allowable under applicable local laws and
copyright conventions. Contributor agrees that this assignment may be
submitted by Sun to register a copyright in the Contribution.
Contributor retains the right to use the Contribution for Contributor's
own purposes. This Joint Copyright Assignment supersedes and replaces
all prior copyright assignments made by Contributor to Sun under the
OpenOffice.org project."

Note that what is important here is the fact that ownership is joint.
The original author retained the right to use for his own purposes (e.g.
relicensing).

So you see, it might not be entirely hopeless after all.

Alex