[Libreoffice] Release criteria

Andrea Pescetti pescetti at openoffice.org
Sat Dec 11 02:45:54 PST 2010

On 06/12/2010 Petr Mladek wrote:
> Andrea Pescetti píše v Ne 05. 12. 2010 v 18:39 +0100:
> > So a major change with respect to the OpenOffice.org release process
> > would be that no explicit approval is needed for localized versions.
> ... I understand your concerns. We came with the central build because of
> the many advantages:
> 	+ translators do not need to fight with technical problems
> 	+ save space (do not duplicate binaries)
> 	+ packaging is standardized, compatible, ...

Yes, these are clear advantages from the infrastructure point of view.

> I have several ideas how to solve the above problem:
> 	+ do smoke test of each localization to make sure that it starts
>           at least; we should do it anyway
> 	+ do more and more frequent bug fix releases with only safe and
>           critical fixes; it is a bit questionable because of resources
> 	+ allow to later update just a single localization

These are all valid solutions, but they will not help for the quality of
the first (3.3) release, which will be rather important. Maybe a
solution for the Microsoft Windows package could be to put in the
"smaller" multi-language installer only explicitly approved
localizations, relegating untested languages into the "all" package; but
I understand this could become a maintenance nightmare later on...

Best regards,
  Andrea.