[Libreoffice] Base - sqlite - licence grief

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Mon Dec 13 06:05:52 PST 2010

On 13/12/10 11:34, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-10 at 12:27 +0100, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
>> So you see, it might not be entirely hopeless after all.
> 	Oh - exactly ! :-) and it would be good to remove that hostile junk
> header with apparent Sun ownership claim anyway. Good stuff.
>
> 	So - please do poke him (gently) :-)

I've had a reply from him. Sadly he didn't (didn't even say if he could)
relicence it, but he said it was abandonware. It was last worked on
about the time OOo went to 3.0, and sqlite went to 3.0 too. Christian
moved on to the JDBC and ODBC drivers, abandoning the SDBC one. It seems
to be about half v2, half v3 - take your pick of GPL, OOo or sqlite :-)

So by the time I've finished with it, it'll probably have been heavily
rewritten anyway :-) When I first tried to compile it, it blew up all
over the place. Good learning curve trying to fix that :-)

So I think the current roadmap is get it to compile, then commit the
patch. Then get the build system to build and include it as an
experimental extra. And finally get it debugged and live :-)

I've seen a couple of things about sqlite *2* that implies it's not a
particularly friendly database. 3 may well be an improvement. But
anyways, once we've got sqlite in place I'm then going to try and write
an engine for LO. That'll be a job-and-a-half! :-)
> 	Thanks,
>
> 		Michael.

Cheers,
Wol