[Libreoffice] what's SfxMenuControl::aHelpText good for?

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Mon Dec 13 09:22:34 PST 2010

Hi all,

recently I've been looking at fdo#31716 and have found out that the
reading of help indexes that seems to cause the slowdown serves to no
purpose, because the result is then just ignored. To be more precise,
the result is assigned (through SfxMenuControl::Bind) to
SfxMenuControl::aHelpText, that can only be accessed through
SfxMenuControl::GetHelpText, that is only called from
SfxVirtualMenu::GetItemHelpText, that is not called from anywhere :-)
(For reference, the files involved are sfx2/inc/sfx2/mnuitem.hxx,
sfx2/source/inc/virtmenu.hxx, sfx2/source/menu/mnuitem.cxx and
sfx2/source/menu/virtmenu.cxx)

My question is: was it used for some purpose in the past and has been
obsoleted? Or is it just an example of purposeless overengineering? Or
should it actually be used for something? Unless someone answers the
last question positively, I'm going to wreak havoc upon the attribute
and the functions associated with it on master in a few days :-)

D.