[Libreoffice] help packages and current libreoffice-3-3

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Fri Dec 17 02:17:50 PST 2010

Hi Rene,

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 02:51 +0100, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> I wonder what the rationale for the intrusive "help packages"
> change between rc1 and rc2 is.

	Weeell - it was promised for RC2; and as such, I feel we ought to
deliver - although it is delaying RC2, which has some nice wins - such
as the shrink from 350Mb to 206Mb of the multi-lang installer :-) It is
clear that having standalone, Win32 installable help-packs is a key
requirement here - I am fed up of answering the same question multiple
times (sometimes from the same people) around help packs.

>  Without any review apparently (no Signed-Off here). Didn't we have
> a strict policy for that in place for libreoffice-3-3?

	We did; Fridrich screwed it up, he should have done the work on a
branch; then again - I've been committing things without a 'Signed Off'
tag occasionally, although they have been reviewed by someone else -
these things happen when you've worked late nights for days on that
horrible perl mess.

	One of the problems is that developing on a remote Windows machine is
like having your eyes pulled out slowly ... as such, prototyping the
perl changes on Linux, committing them and just git pull ; re-building
at the other end is extremely tempting - but, as you say it should be
done on a branch.

> Why the change of the gid_*'s anyway? Wasn't it possible to reuse the
> old ones for what needed to be done?

	Hah; I'll go review the changes of last night now, and we'll do the
remaining fixes in a branch; this is essentially the last critical RC2
blocker - and we.

	Thanks for keeping an eagle eye on it all :-)

	ATB,

		Michael.