[Libreoffice] Change executable/sh names

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 17 18:31:00 PST 2010

On 12/17/2010 05:34 PM, Jesús Corrius wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 2:18 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Installing LibORC1on a Windwows system[1] creates an issue with a
>> co-installed OOo install. Once LibO is installed it takes over all .odt
>> etc file properties associations.
>>
>> - LO takes over all OOo application defaults & icons.
>> - LO uses the same executable names as OOo (soffice.exe, swriter.exe,
>> etc). This makes it impossible to select an .odt and re-associate it
>> with OOo on the same system.
>
> Your argument is misleading. You can associate an extension with any
> program you want and It doesn't matter if they have the same name or
> not. In this case, you probably have select the path of the program so
> it's a bit more work to do it, but in any any way it's *impossible* to
> do it.
>
> That being said, i think it's a good idea to change the program names,
> but i don't consider it a blocker for 3.3.

I don't think it's misleading WRT Windows. I generally use linux, so
perhaps I'm not sufficiently up to date on that OS; however, if I have
OOo installed, file associations for an .odt are associated with OOo. If
I then install LibORC1 on the same system, the file association is for
LibO.

Right-click the .odt and select 'Open With' (WinXPPro); the 'Programs'
window shows only option for LibO, not OOo. It does show options for
Word if MS Word is installed and has the odf converter installed. I've
repeated this on my WinXPro VM by:

1. Uninstalling all instances of OOo and LibO.
2. Reinstall OOo (3.2.1 OOO320m18) and verify that the .odt's are
associated with OOo.
3. Reinstall LibORC1 (OOO330m18). The .odt's are now associated *only*
with LibO *and* cannot be reassociated with OOo from right-clicking and
'Open With' from Windows Explorer.

My guess is that the problem is with the common swriter.exe (et al)
executable name. If I get time over the weekend I'll modify the names in
the Windows registry to see if I can cause the situation to change.

In the interim; how about you test & also explain how a standard Windows
user is to "associate an extension with any
program you want and It doesn't matter if they have the same name or
not". And in particular, associate an .odt with *both* OOo and LibO on
the same system...