[Libreoffice] Defective equation setter in LibreOffice (and OpenOffice)

RSClymo clymo at rsjc.net
Tue Dec 21 08:17:58 PST 2010

To whoever it concerns: greeting.

I wrote the following to Michael Meeks (after his article in Linux Format
promoting LO (which I am trying):

"In its parent OpenOffice there is a long-standing defect (reported over 3 years
ago, issue 76587) that makes the equation setter in the Linux version a total
joke (common characters such as ()+ etc. print wrongly or are unprintable) and
the app is consequently useless in Linux for much science work. It is, though,
OK in MS Word. Details attached. I did my bit to try and get this attended to in
OOo but no success. This got OOo a bad reputation. I'd hate that to continue in LO."

He replied:

"There were a couple of guys hacking equation stuff in LibreOffice, and
we have in-line editing now in experimental mode: Can you mail your
report to:

	libreoffice-dev <libreoffice at lists.freedesktop.org>
"

In the hope that you may be able to fix this long-standing problem I attach a
document showing what the problem is.

Very best wishes with LibreOffice: we *need* it!

Dicky Clymo

--
RS Clymo
49 High Street