[Libreoffice] format inspector (Was : Re: sw: numbering misbehaviour)

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Wed Dec 22 14:02:23 PST 2010

Caolán McNamara wrote (21-12-10 21:17)
> On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 19:59 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
>> Seeing as LO is based on XML as the document format it should be easy -
>> all "reveal codes" is is a window with text and all the markup visible.
>
> The thing is that, while the file format is XML, the file format doesn't
> bear that much relationship to how the application actually
> store/applies properties. There aren't actual codes embedded in the
> strings whose display can be toggled on or off, so something like that
> would require faking it all up.
>
> On the other hand there's definitely a lot to be said for something like
> a "format inspector" which describes from where and why something is
> formatted like it is.

I do not so much believe in the old WP-style of 'reveal formatting'
since I know OOo.
As a style addict, and knowing where to find Ctrl-M, it's easy to tackle
most...
Said that, indeed a (new style) pop-up to show
  - para style
  - char. style
  - direct (hard) formatting
would be useful, at least for many users.

Making this as an extension is not that difficult. (It might even exist
already?)
Thinking about adding it to the core code (which is way beyond my
competences) I would say the the format paintbrush will have some
interesting code to re-use ;-)

Best,
Cor