[Libreoffice] Suggestions

Olivier Hallot olivier.hallot at documentfoundation.org
Thu Dec 23 15:44:44 PST 2010

Hi

Em 23-12-2010 18:36, Michel Basilieres escreveu:
> Hi
>
> There are two big areas which I feel need to be addressed - although I'm
> sure I'm not the only one to mention them. First, and most important, MS
> Office compatibility. Frankly, in OO this is crap. The transfer from OO
> (I know it's not LO, but as far as I know, no one has said this is an
> issue for LO) to Word and back again is so bad I finally had to migrate
> to Word.

The easiest way to fix Microsoft compatibility issues in your workplace
is to buy Microsoft licences. LibreOffice will never do better than
Microsoft. Not even Microsoft do better than Microsoft. And frankly, do
we want to be tied to Microsoft rules forever?

Consider dropping doc, xls format and adopt ODF format with LibreOffice.
I can assure that you will not run into troubles with file opening and
saving within LibreOffice users.

Using LibreOffice as cheap replacement of costly MSOffice licences,
disregarding ODF format is a common mistake and recipe for failure in
any migration program I ran into. If you cannot avoid it, my advise is
to stick with Microsoft.

> Second, the interface. It desperately needs an overhaul to bring it into
> the 21st century. I'm not asking for it to be prettier (although it
> should be), but for a rearrangement of options and tools so that the
> ones that are used together are found together in the interface. Again,
> MS Office understands this.

Thanks God, Microsoft Office 2007 migration costs (workforce
re-training) for the new interface was one of the reasons to move away
from Microsoft 2003 and adopt OpenOffice and ODF on a 120.000 desktop
enterprise with stocks in NYSE I am working for. Believe me, average
users *hate* changes in their cheese. Managers *hate* unhappy users and
hefty vendor bills.

That does not means that the user interface cannot evolve, it just can't
be a sharp u-turn.

Kind regards from sunny Rio
--
Olivier Hallot
Founder, Steering Commitee Member - The Document Foundation