[Libreoffice] Change executable/sh names

Jesús Corrius jesus at softcatala.org
Fri Dec 24 11:32:46 PST 2010

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 5:56 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> I was expecting to find some problem with the merge of the
>>> SupportedTypes in the registry during the installation, but everything
>>> worked fine in my Windows XP SP2. I've followed your instructions and
>>> I now have two entries in the "Open With" context menu, one for
>>> OpenOffice.org and the other one for LibreOffice.
>>>
>>> Anyone else is able to reproduce this?

>>> As I mentioned before, in the registry there's the full path of the
>>> executable, so it doesn't matter if they have the same name provided
>>> that the path is different.
>>>
>>> Here you have info on how this works:
>>>
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872121(v=VS.85).aspx
>>
>> Nope. That's not how it works. Sorry for the delay in responding, but
>> your system does not work the same as mine (WinXPPro SP3). I went back
>> and repeated my initial. Here are screenshots of those:
>>
>> http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5827/screenshotwithoooonly.png
>> Only OOo 3.2.1 installed.
>>
>> Now I install LibO - and in this case I installed LibORC2 just to be
>> sure that the test is current. And this is the result:
>> http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4994/screenshotwithliborc2.png
>> http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9178/screenshotwithliborc22.png
>> Notice that all references to OOo are now missing.
>>
>> So now I do the open with & browse to OOo swriter.exe and use that -
>> guess what happens... the .doc file opens in LibO.
>>
>> As a test I rename the swriter.exe in C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org
>> 3\program
>> to ooowriter.exe
>> and guess what happens when I use the choose program on the next go
>> around? Yep, the .doc now opens with OOo. And guess what now shows up in
>> the 'open with' dialog window... OOo:
>> http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4567/screenshotoootoooowrite.png
>>
>> I'm happy to swap stories/tests, but IMO the problem still exists,
>
> Sorry, forgot to add the screenshot of where I'd changed OOo swriter.exe
> to ooowriter.exe - here it is:
> http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/93/screenshotooowriter.png

I see, I was able to reproduce it after making a few tests. Let me
investigate this further.

Scenarios that work (for me)
-------------------------

OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Works
OpenOffice 3.2.1 final + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Works

Scenarios that don't work (for me)

Microsoft Office 2007 + OpenOffice 3.2.1 final + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Doesn't work
Microsoft Office 2007 + LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.2.1 final = Doesn't work
Microsoft Office 2007 + LibO 3.3 RC2 + OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 = Doesn't work
Microsoft Office 2007 + OpenOffice 3.3 RC8 + LibO 3.3 RC2 = Doesn't work

--
Jesús Corrius <jesus at softcatala.org>
Document Foundation founding member