[Libreoffice] The future of help [was: Re: Deleting Java from Base]

Cesare Leonardi celeonar at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 13:27:31 PST 2010

Hi, i'm not subscribed to the list. Please keep me CCed.

> On 2010-12-03 at 14:40 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
>
>> Start with stuff that /any/ user would see.
>> My list would start with:
>> Fulltext search in Help (i.e. <F1>) - that uses lucene and requires java
>
> That one might be actually easy - when the wikihelp is online, I'd
> default to not building the internal help at all, and instead focus on
> converting it from the wiki version to the platform-native (Windows /
> MacOSX / Gnome / KDE [but IIRC, KDE was able to read the Gnome's help
> natively too]) for the releases.  And cut all the help-related code ;-)
>
> Objections / support / thoughts?

I'll try to explain why, in my opinion, is not a good idea to move the
LibreOffice help on the internet. I'm sure that there will be numerous
improvements from a developer perspective but i see also some losses
from some users point of view.

Now, LibreOffice is normally usable without the need of the help, but if
i need to write formulas in Calc or macros, the help is simply
indispensable.

My concerns are related to the need of an internet connection to be able
to consult the help. Today high speed adsl internet access is rather
spread but consider that at least here in Italy there are yet many
places where the only viable option to connect to the internet is
through modem 56k or through GPRS/UMTS, where available. But in the last
case, rates are not flat, so there are limits on the user traffic or
connection duration. Satellite is too expensive.

Also, OpenOffice/LibreOffice is used by many low budget entity, like
primary and secondary schools, associations, for which internet access
is not something that can be taken for granted or considered to be high
speed. Many of them will have to print from the internet the help pages
that they need or do without help.

Then business. In workplaces not every employee has full access to the
internet: sometimes is forbidden, sometimes is limited to specific
sites. In these cases administrators will have to open their firewall to
specific sites (hoping that there is an administrator) or someone will
print documentations from the internet or the employee will have to do
without help.

These are (not so corner) cases that will see a loss of functionality,
that will not be able to do something that they were able do before or
that will be able to do it with more difficulties.

Please, since this is something not yet effective, consider more deeply
the choice to remove the local help.
Is theren't a solution that can merge the advantage of an online
editable help with a locally available help? The local help can't be
built at release time from the wikihelp you are setting up?

Regards.

Cesare.