[Libreoffice] Formula cursor : bug or feature ?

Jonas Finnemann Jensen jopsen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 11:06:24 PST 2010

Hi Regina,

> It is only difficult for people, who do not get a starting instruction.
True... I would assume that most users are not given an introduction course...
In most schools students are given an introduction to MS Word and MathType.
If an introduction is given, it's quite often assume that people can use word...

But we need to find a balance between easy-to-learn and fast-to-use.
At the moment it requires quite a lot of effort to learn it...
Hench my reference to vim/emacs... I mean it would be faster to write
the text in LibreOffice if it had a vim-mode. But LibreOffice don't
have a vim-mode because of the learning curve.

I'm hoping the sensible shortcuts and perhaps (this is on my
"dream"-list) inline auto-completion for supporting commands in the
visual formula editor... could improve the efficiency of the visual
formula editor.

> Ordinary office users do not need the formula editor at all. But all of those who write scientific texts.
Hmm... You might be right about that one.... :)
 - I thought everybody needed to write scientific texts, at least
that's how I think the world ought to be :)

> One feature is already lost. I fear more regressions.
If you disable experimental features, everything is back to normal.
And position and selection synchronization "can" be fixed before this
feature is enabled by default...
Assuming someone cares to implement it... and you're are welcome to
step up to the plate :)

I hope we can agree that a visual editor, where the old command text
interface is still available, is a good idea... And a great
improvement to many users... Especially those migrating from Microsoft
Office.

--
Regards Jonas Finnemann Jensen.