[Libreoffice] LibreOffice Icon Naming

Andrew rugby471 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 00:19:28 PDT 2010

On 01/11/10 20:31, Andrew C. E. Dent wrote:
> Hi Andrew
>
> I'm another Andrew who also cares about Icons! (Normally people refer to
> me by my User name of 'ace_dent').
> I first started to analyse the problem about 5yrs ago(!) but gave in
> under the original Sun ownership.
> I have started the bare seeds of this over on the wiki:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Icon_Themes
>
> I'm first trying to move the work I did in an earlier audit of all the
> icons into the wiki, to move things forward. See here:
> http://people.bath.ac.uk/ea2aced/OOo/OOoIconCat.odt
>
> - Please jump in and get involved!
>
> I agreed with your points, however, I would like to split out large /
> small icons into two different zip archives. There is some performance
> reasons for doing this, and makes naming conventions easier, but I think
> I need some input from coding gurus...
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

Hi Other Andrew :)

Wow you seem to have done a lot of great work on this! However I see a
few issues:

Your proposed scheme would see icons categorised by components. Whilst I
see you have the zero category for shared icons, I can see many problems
with this in the future, where icons become duplicated, not in the
correct categories. It also make it much harder for an artist, whereas
in the extended tango spec which I have proposed an artist could easily
find an icon by its context (i.e. action) in your one, they would have
to go by component which may not always be obvious.

I also think having the size in the filename is not a great idea as you
will end up with VERY large directories where icons are not easily seen.
Putting sizes into folder solves this problem.

The Tango Icon Naming Spec has seen widespread adoption and has seen to
work and so I (and kendy) believed it was the best way to go forward. It
also makes things easier for icon authors coming from a GTK icon theme
as most of the icon names will be the same.

Please don't get me wrong, the work that you have done will be
invaluable when it comes wrong to implementing it :) However I don't
believe that your spec is necessarily the best way forward.

Any comments?
--
Andrew