[Libreoffice] [PATCH] Fix bug where an opening quote mark is treated as a word
m.t.johnsson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 20:14:29 PDT 2010
On 6 November 2010 12:13, John LeMoyne Castle <jlc at mail2lee.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Ok, after getting over a short-term dislike of Word Count - with a new found
> appreciation for some of the developer comments in OOo issuezilla - I had a
> new idea for a test plan. Perhaps turning on the Scanner clipping has
> *accidentally* fixed the quote problem as well. Although I intended to
> make no changes within the SwScanner -- the two changes at issue are
> small: Mattias fix of specifying the ScriptType for the fancy punctuation
> is one initializer in an array, and the Scanner clipping on/off is a Boolean
> true/false parameter on the SwScanner constructor. So hoping for quick
> clarity, I backed out both changes.
> Of course the plan fell apart at step 1) - can see the packaging of core-04
> involving libswli.so and core-05 involving new i18npool.so - also did full
> rm-Rf install and make dev-install to make sure I get the new stuff. - both
> changes removed - Still no 'leading special quote extra word' [LSQEW]
> problem with quotes from an existing file or quotes newly inserted into a
> Get LSQEW on Oracle OOo 3.2 Linux on Lucid.
> Get LSQEW on LibO Beta2 on Win Vista.
> I can not recreate it in dev.
> In case some other change in CountWords fixed it I tried rolling the history
> back. After a bunch of
>> git diff HEAD~<dozens> -- ./txtedt.cxx
> including a binary search to pin down the point just before our changes - a
> few weeks ago -
> I rolled CountWords back -40 with:
>> git checkout -f HEAD~40 ./txtedt.cxx
> Saw the code as it was before any of our changes. Built soffice and ran but
> still no LSQEW. Know I built the old version txtedt.cxx because Char excl
> spaces was always zero. And selections across a leading special quote still
> always gave the 'correct' MSWord count.
> Looked further back ~200-500 and very few changes in CountWords (nParaAll++
> insertion; 2 changes in TxtNode member names; change in ParaDataImpl_
> WrongList type) . Did similar look back in history for the breakiterator
> file and few changes there as well.
> *Maybe a closer look at the scanner or the iterator will turn up something
> -- but further back than the copyright change not likely to help since it
> shows as broken in Beta 2 and in current OOo for Lucid from Ubuntu.
> If you try the 'go back machine' you may need to search a further back than
> 40 because of any commits to origin/master since my test (11/5). In this
> search it helped to step back partway before the last larger set of changes
> to be able to see the earlier changes. Easy to see far enough because the
> new field in ParaDataImplwhatever showed at the bottom of the diff. When
> done 'cleaned up' the local config with
>> git checkout -f origin/master ./txtedt.cxx
> Still new to git but I am sure I saw and built and ran the old txtedt.cxx
> and still no LSQEW. Feelin' a bit lost ... I can think of some other
> options for trying to find what fixed the LSQEW but I feel like I'm chasing
> ghosts where they aren't. Maybe I have a magic bug eating build setup. I
> hope not -- that would make troubleshooting impossible ;-)
> Puzzled but not daunted -- LeMoyne
Okay, I can confirm. I pulled the latest master, built it, and there's
no opening quote mark problem. I have no idea what's going on.
I think I'm just going to let it go for the moment, and pick another
bug to fix. Hopefully one that doesn't magically fix itself, this
More information about the LibreOffice