[Libreoffice] Calc usability improvements

Patrick Bakker pabos at glypsube.org
Thu Nov 11 17:21:18 PST 2010

Having grown very used to Excel defaults I find Calc very annoying to
use. Now that contributing to LibreOffice looks sane I'm curious how
receptive people would be to some patches for the following Calc
conventions...

SEMI-COLON INSTEAD OF COMMA AS FUNCTION ARGUMENT SEPARATOR

Current Calc behaviour:
=subtotal(9;a1:a5)

Desired behaviour:
=subtotal(9,a1:a5)

I'm not sure if it would feasible to support both ; and , as argument
seperators.

DELETE CELL "HELPER"

The delete cell "helper" dialog box pops up anytime I try to delete a
cell or cell selection. It gives me options to delete some combination
of text / numbers / date & time / formulas / notes / formats /
objects. Occassionally this is useful. For regular use, however, I
just want the value of the cell deleted.

The current behavior seems analogous to Paste Special (which is
Shift-Control-V) and I wonder if it would be possible to have Delete
delete only the cell value immediately and. Then a Delete Special...
command could be added (perhaps Shift-Control-Delete) which would
bring up the current delete dialog box.

COPY & PASTE TO A CELL WITH AN EXISTING VALUE

The first time I copy and pasted a cell formula into another cell
which already had something in it a dialog came up asking something
like "This cell already has a value. Are you sure you want to do copy
a new value in?" EXTREMELY annoying. So annoying that I skipped past
it for the first few days without seeing the "Show this dialog"
checkbox. Once I saw the option to hide the dialog I did so and I
don't know how to get it back to quote exactly what it says. I can't
really think of any reason for this dialog to exist at all but at
least it can be dismissed so its not quite so bad as the delete
dialog. Still would anybody object if I submitted a patch to kill it?

Thanks to everyone involved in this project! Its great to see some
momentum gathering.