[Libreoffice] Disable GCC optimizations when building with --enable-symbols

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Thu Nov 18 03:13:36 PST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 03:19:39AM -0700, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> On a related note, what is your take on --enable-dbgutil vs. --enable-debug? Are they designed to do clearly separate things?

IMHO no. Both allow to:
* use assertions
* insert arbitrary debugging code that is only present in 'special'
  builds: #ifdef DBG_UTIL and #if OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL > n
* track object lifetime: that's what all these DBG_CHKTHIS, DBG_CHKOBJ,
  DBG_NAME etc. in vcl, sfx2, svtools and maybe in a few other places
  are for. OSL's counterpart is osl::DebugBase, that is AFAIK only used
  at a few places in sd. (And we have valgrind for that anyway,
  don't we?)
* profile code (isn't there enough profilers available?)

> Do people in general understand the difference?

IMHO the main difference is that DBG_ family is older and bound to
VCL (it has that configuration dialog that can be started by
Ctrl+Shift+Alt+D in non-pro build ... but hardly anyone would know what
to do with it anyway .-)

> If either answer is no, should these two concepts be merged?

I'm fully for discarding the old DBG_* tools entirely.

D.