[Libreoffice] newish to git: howto recover from bad merge?

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Fri Nov 19 00:11:51 PST 2010

Hullo List,

It must be something simple, but I'm having a devil of a time recovering
from a bad merge.  Given my transcript below, how do I recover?

It usually happens after I've committed a change to my local repository,
that I then sent in as a patch.  That patch got applied with a slight
modification, and then the conflict.

-----
$ cd .../rawbuild/binfilter
$ git pull -r
First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
Applying: EasyHack: RTL macro from createFromAscii
Using index info to reconstruct a base tree...
Falling back to patching base and 3-way merge...
Auto-merging binfilter/bf_svx/source/items/svx_xmlcnitm.cxx
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in
binfilter/bf_svx/source/items/svx_xmlcnitm.cxx
Failed to merge in the changes.
Patch failed at 0001 EasyHack: RTL macro from createFromAscii

When you have resolved this problem run "git rebase --continue".
If you would prefer to skip this patch, instead run "git rebase --skip".
To restore the original branch and stop rebasing run "git rebase --abort".

$ vim bf_svx/source/items/svx_xmlcnitm.cxx
   # AS NORMAL, HERE I MANUALLY FIX THE BAD MERGE

$ git status
# Not currently on any branch.
# Unmerged paths:
#   (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
#   (use "git add/rm <file>..." as appropriate to mark resolution)
#
#	both modified:      bf_svx/source/items/svx_xmlcnitm.cxx
#
no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

$ git add bf_svx/source/items/svx_xmlcnitm.cxx

$ git commit
# Not currently on any branch.
nothing to commit (working directory clean)

$ git rebase --continue
Applying: EasyHack: RTL macro from createFromAscii
No changes - did you forget to use 'git add'?

When you have resolved this problem run "git rebase --continue".
If you would prefer to skip this patch, instead run "git rebase --skip".
To restore the original branch and stop rebasing run "git rebase --abort".
-----

Any pointers for the uninitiated would be awesome.

Thanks!

Kevin