[Libreoffice] setting ulimit before running soffice

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Fri Nov 19 06:27:05 PST 2010

At 7:59am -0500 Fri, 19 Nov 2010, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 10:57 -0500, Kevin Hunter wrote:
>> What's the story with the ulimit set in 'ooenv' right before
>> running a freshly built LO:
>
> As Caolan says - without this, your app will simply not dump core. Of
> course, mostly people can run under gdb just fine, and core files can be
> a PITA to deal with.

Heh, well, actually from "long ago" I said, "These are dumb!  I'll turn
this on when I need it!" and put in "ulimit -c 0" in my .bash_profile.
Of course, that was before I started religiously commenting (you should
see my .bash* files, e.g.), so I forgot about it.

In the meantime, I think I've sussed out that warning message is unique
to me.

> So - it is not a huge issue if it fails, we could simply pipe 2>
> /dev/null in the script if you want :-)

Yeah, I picked that up after the responses, and reading a bit more about
it.  I actually knew peripherally what it did, but I was not aware that
I could set up allowances on a per-user basis.  Thus, I asked the (in
retrospect) dumb question if others were running LO as root.

I don't think getting rid of that output is a good idea (in this case).
  For something like '$ find /', it might be more appropriate, where
it's clear there will be some permission denied listings, etc.

As I said above, I think it's only me, so problem solved.

Thanks though!

Kevin